In mindmapping my thoughts for
the production of my music video, I have generated a series of ideas and
painted a picture of how I want my video to be. Employing the song 'All of the
People' by Panama Wedding, the video will be directed and produced to appeal to
an indie demographic. As the song is electronic/synthpop, there will be a
strong positive vibe which will try to make the viewer feel good in themselves.
This will be achieved by manipulating the style. Essentially, I plan for the
video to be bright and colourful, quick in editing, and informal in register.
After due consideration, I want
this video to be set after the breakup of a couple. The protagonist, a man, is
suggested to have been quite melancholic prior to when we first see him.
Following the lyrics of the song, he has had a realisation that "the days
feel a little bit longer now, and the morning's bright." Essentially -
he's over it. The man is happy. He recognises the passing of time and refuses
to be still in time, like the people around him who are doing nothing but
"waiting for the concrete to break." I will film these shots in
Manchester City Centre, where the setting is urban and directly links to the
lyrics. Likewise, I will include a strong binary opposition of light and dark,
contrasting to give an insight to the character's emotional state. Bright
lighting connotes happiness, and dark light, the contrary. It is possible that
there will be an underlying sadness to it, provoking a question of whether or
not the character is happy, or if he just wants to be happy so chooses to be.
Some audience members may not understand the difference between the two, but
clever editing and iconography will display this difference in emotional state
to viewers who read into it. The protagonist is existing in a dreamlike state,
but at times the video displays reality as it is, which is not necessarily
bright. Nevertheless, he is still moving on.